Chemical Applications Software Tester
Microsaic is a small world leading manufacturer providing cutting edge instrumentation to the chemical industry.
The company manufactures a miniaturised Mass Spectrometer. The software team provides an application which both controls the instrument functions and displays and analyses the data retrieved. As each iteration of our application is created it must be stringently tested, both stand alone and with our customers equipment, to ensure any software errors are removed before installation in the production product.
The role would suit a chemistry graduate who would like to try IT. The successful applicant would have the opportunity to move on to other roles in the company in the future.
We require a software tester with knowledge of chemical applications to design and run a suite of regressions tests to test the Mass Spectrometer software, and to assist the software engineers when running the Mass Spectrometer. The software tester will also use their knowledge of chemical applications to suggest improvements to the current software.
- Creating test plans for the company’s products
- Designing and implementing test cases to verify product functionality, performance etc.
- Creating automated tests
- Planning and driving the process of product testing
- Ensuring high product quality from a software standpoint
- Recreating customer incidents
- Administrating the change request tool
- Collaborating with Microsaic’s multidisciplinary team including software developers, hardware developers, customer relations/support, service support and senior management.
- Good understanding of chemistry – minimum grade B at Chemistry A Level
- Be able to view a product from a user/customer perspective and design tests to reflect this
- Motivated and organised
- Keen to learn a new product domain
- Ability to work with developers and managers alike
- Have good written and oral communication skills
- Have a good eye for detail
- Windows operating system, MS office (Word, Excel, Outlook)
Desirable/Nice to have (not essential) any of:
- Exposure to mass spectrometry, liquid chromatography or related technology (able to interpret mass spec results and run chemical experiments)
- Knowledge of software test processes and life cycle
- Testing of commercial or scientific instruments
- Experience testing man-machine interfaces & GUIs
- Experience creating automated tests
- Experience of the Linux operating system & tools
- Experience of change request tools e.g. JIRA
- Experience of SVN or similar revision control software
- Degree or equivalent qualification in Chemistry or related Science Subject.
Salary: Negotiable, dependant on experience
Location: Woking, Surrey
Start Date: As soon as possible