Chemical Applications Software Tester
A small world leading manufacturer providing cutting edge instrumentation to the chemical industry
The company manufactures a small Mass Spectrometer. The software team provides an application which both controls the instrument functions and displays/analyses the data retrieved. As each iteration of our application is created it must be stringently tested both stand alone and with our customers equipment to ensure any mal functions are removed before installation in the production product.
We require a software tester with knowledge of chemical applications to design and run a suite of regressions tests, proving the control function and the user interface; assist the software engineers when running the Mass Spectrometer; oversee our error recording software; and coordinate the software delivery process.
Work will include analysing and defining the test requirements for Microsaic’s software platform. Communicating and collaborating with Microsaic’s multidisciplinary team including software developers, hardware developers, customer relation/support, service support and senior management.
- Creating test plans for the company’s products, planning test design and execution for each release.
- Involvement in release planning & testing for regression
- Designing and implementing test cases to verify product functionality, performance etc.
- Creating automated tests
- Planning and driving the process of product testing
- Ensuring high product quality from a software standpoint
- Good understanding of chemistry – good grade at Chemistry A Level
- Motivated and organised
- Keen to learn a new product domain
- Ability to work with developers and managers alike
- Have good written and oral communication skills
- Have a good eye for detail
- Be able to view a product from a user/customer perspective and design tests to reflect this
- Windows operating system, MS office (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- The ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines
Desirable/Nice to have (not essential) any of:
- Exposure to mass spectrometry, liquid chromatography or related technology (able to interpret mass spec results and run chemical experiments)
- Knowledge of software test processes and life cycle
- Testing of commercial or scientific instruments
- Experience testing man-machine interfaces & GUIs
- Experience creating automated tests
- Experience of the Linux operating system & tools
- Experience of issue tracking tools e.g. JIRA, Bugzilla
- Experience of SVN or similar revision control software
- Degree, HND or equivalent qualification in Chemistry or related Science Subject.
Salary: Negotiable, dependant on experience
Location: Woking, Surrey
Start Date: As soon as possible